Folkish in Tucson and Arizona
last revision [2/15/04] (but not all the info is really that up to
Collected by: theron (terry) friedman /
tzf @ lpl.arizona.edu
Being a guide to where things are happening in Tucson and
Arizona for visitors interested in folk dance and music.
WARNING: this page is only updated on whim; use the contact numbers
& addresses to get the latest information. Dates in brackets, e.g.
give the last time I updated or checked the entry.
*Tucson (and most of AZ except Phoenix) area code is 520/.
*Locations are given with the University of Arizona (U/A) or downtown
as a convenient central reference point
*For annual events: if next date isn't know, the last date is given
just to show approximate time of year
- Monday - nothing
- beginning International FD class at U/A: 5-7pm
@ Newman Center (NE corner 2nd @ Cherry) . All are Welcome
of Universal Peace
Saturday of each month @ Quaker Friends Meeting Hall, 931 N. 5th Ave.
Contact: Janine Walter, 520/320-5865
- 2nd Sunday of each month: Song Circle, 1-3pm. Location varies;
call 745-6262 or 327-1779 for info.
Bluegrass Association 3rd sunday each month, 4:00 pm,
Texas T-Bone Restaurant - 8981 E. Tanque Verde in Bear Canyon Shopping
International Folk Dancers,
Wednesday nights, 8-10pm,
5th Ave at 6th St. (1/2 mi. W of U/A campus)
Contact: Martha Van Winkle, 792 2694, or tzf
U/A IFD club
(I-Dance) (mostly beginning level): Fridays 5-7pm. @Newman Center,
2nd Ave. at Cherry St. All are Welcome. (Sometimes doesn't meet during
school breaks) [11/02]
class Tuesdays 7-8:30 @ Lighthouse YMCA
(Columbus, between Ft Lowell & Grant), $8.00/month. Runs Sept-May.
- International/Vintage Dance Class at Ballet Arts,
200 S. Tucson. Tues-Thurs 6:30-7:30pm. Info: 623-3373 [11/02]
- TEDE (Tucson Ethnic Dance Ensemble), International performing
group. contact: Barbara
- German performing group: Edelweiss Folk
- Greek performing group based at St. Demetrios Greek
Orthodox Church, 1145 E. Ft. Lowell Road
- Swedish Folk Dancing: RosaLee Murray 325-1157 Second and fourth
7:30pm @Rosemont Community Church, 5005 E Winsett St
VASA Dancers: 326-7330, Adult and Children?s classes
- Norwegian Folk Dancing - Loretta Olson 326-7330
Leikarring Dancers (Norsemen's federation: 297 9503)
- Polish performing group
Lajkonik Meets weekly at St. Cyril's Catholic Church. info:
- Ruthenian (aka Rusyn) performing group. Meet at St. Melany's
- Sacred Circle Dancing, 2nd Saturdays, 7pm @??? 398-9910 or
- several local "ethnic" halls or clubs for several nationalities,
sometimes manage to put together small groups for performances.
- U/A Balalaika
Orchestra has a yearly concert, also performs at festivals.
Contact: Mia Bulgarin Gay
Russian Dancers performing group associated with Balalaika orch.
- Beledi: Dance of Arabia, 2900 E. Broadway, Suite 142; 322-9949
Belly Dance instructor is Kathryn Ferguson 881-0883
- Dances of Universal Peace 1st Sunday of
each month, 7-9pm.@ St. Francis in the Foothills, (River Rd. W. of Swan
Rd) (4-99 through 9-99; may move after that) Contact: Mumtaz Wilder 321/1006
- African dance classes: Barbea Williams Performing Company:
Traditional West African and African-Brazilian Dance. 628-7785. Sixth
Street Art Studios, 44 W. Street (N.E. Corner of 6th Street @ 9th Ave.)
- Polynesian: Halau Hula O Leina`Ala, Lisa Leina'ala Ibarra,
940 S. Craycroft, Tucson, AZ 85711
1st & 3rd Saturdays of the month (sometimes also 5th Saturday)
Contact: Tucson Friends of Traditional Music, Becky Nankivell 293-3783,
First United Methodist Church, 915 E. 4th St. Entrance is on Park,
between 4th and University (just west of UA campus).
1st Saturdays usually open band, 3rd Saturdays ususally set band.
$7 general public, $6 TFTM members, $5 students.
7:30 pm teaching for beginners
8 - 11 pm dance
There's usually a dance on 5th Saturdays, often at different locations.
There are frequently other "special" dances.
the Desert camp, First Weekend in November. Triangle Y Camp,Oracle,
contact: P.O. box 40654, Tucson 85717, or 520/327-1779, or
Sundays at OPSDA,
12-4 or so.
Classes from advanced to beginning.
Tuesdays: 6:15-7:15 @ Wetmore Center (701 W. Wetmore Rd) 6:15-7:15.
$3.00. Info: 797-9632 [11/02]
Edie Hund - Arizona Clogging Association, 509 E Gay St,
Tucson, AZ 85705-3610 USA, Phone: (520) 887-4291,
Email: email@example.com, Tucson@clogdancing.com
Howell, Kathy & Leon, 520-726-8276
Vettore, Theresa, 520-797-9632, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wilson, Anne, 520-297-0843, ToeTappin@aol.com
Tuesday eveinigs, @ Jewish Community Ctr
7-8:30 beginners; 8:30-10:00 advanced
3800 E River Rd at Dodge road (5+ Mi NE of U/A) 299 3000
Bracken School of Irish Dance: children's step-dancing & adult
ceili-dancing classes Tuesday & Thursday
afternoons/evenings at Dance Moves Studio: 2514E. 6th St.
For more information or to sign up for classes,
contact Rosemary Browne 296-8476 MEAKNEE@aol.com.
(Also have classes in Phoenix)
Irish Dance Competition:
Feile Rince Tucson
Thursday nights 7:30-9:30pm, $4 (first class free)
(Tucson Branch of the RSCDS)
First United Methodist Church hall
415 E. 4th at Park (entrance is on Park, faces the W. end of U/A)
Contact: Verna Van Loan: 299-5566; Courtney Cartwright: 887-0875
or Jaunita Mayo 621-2381 or 327-3766
- this is the recreational class. There is also a performing group.
Highland Games (Highland Dancing)
Check out the
Black Leather Zydeco page for their gigs and upcoming events.
Old Time Community Square dances, Fred
Feild caller; 2nd Saturday of every month, 7-10 pm
Senior Center. Donation requested. Info 747-7010 Note: Fred also
does some performances.
Modern (Western) : too many groups to list. Try contacting:
(Old Pueblo Square (& Round) Dance Center)
613 E Delano (off 1st Ave, about 2 mi N of U/A)
- they seem to have a different club every night of the week.
T-squares. Cornerstone Fellowship Social Hall. 2909 North Geronimo.
Gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered square dance, open to all. 6:30 -
8 p.m. Info: Michael at 884-8320 or Carol at 749-1617.
Fun Squares. Comanche Wells Mobile Home Park Community Room,
775 W. Roger Road. Plus level square dancers. Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m.
Single ladies are especially welcome. Info: 326-9284.
Flamenco classes Flamenco y Mas, 41 N. Tucson Blvd.
For adults and children, through 5/03. Info: 622-0440.
- Southern Arizona Chapter, U.S. Amateur Ballroom Dance Assn.
Holds monthly dances; location & times vary. $5. Dress code.
Contact USABDA at 770-9540; PO Box 26334, Tucson 85726-6334;
- try some of the resorts, or look under "dance instruction" in
- There are Sr. Citizen Dances at Armory
almost daily at either 12:30pm or 8pm. (call 791-4865 the center for
- Ballroom Dancing for Seniors: 1:30-3:30 pm, Udall Center, 7200 E.
Verde. $1.50. Dance to live band.
- Salsa: Beginning Salsa/Meringue class, drop-in ok. @ MUSE
(516 N. 5th Ave), Room 8, 5:30-6:30, $5/class. Info: 573-7701 [11/02]
Beginning level tango class, 2-4pm Saturdays (through 12/28/02)
at Arizona Ballroom COmpany, 5536 E. Grant Rd. $5/person. info:
The Shoebox Tango Club. 108 E. Congress Street. 290-2990.
Thursday evenings, 8:15: beginners, 9: intermediate.
Classes cost $5. Info: Charity or Levi @ 290-2990.
Also check the
Tango Tucson list.
- Bryan's On Broadway (Studio), 7036 E. Broadway at Kolb. 544 9477
Has drop in classes, $10 per evening, 6-8 PM: Fri: Foxtrot & Swing;
Sat: Tango & Waltz; Sunday: ChaCha & Rhumba.
Wednesday evenings at the Tucson
Women's Club, $7.
Class 7pm, Dance 8pm. Contact: Maurice Swinnen, 885-4599
- Latin Dancing 9:30-1 Fridays, Encore-Med Restaurant, 2959 N. Swan
Also: Dance Moves Studio, 2514 E. Sixth St. $7.50/hour.
Beginners: Thursdays 5-7. Advanced/intermediate: Mondays 6:30-8 p.m.
Children: Wednesdays 5-6. Info/Reg: 745-8431.
SWING & 2-STEP:
Is done in the bars, dance studios, and clubs.
East-coast (triple step) and Jitterbug aren't
seen much, and I don't know of anyplace that plays music of the "swing
era." What is done here is Western 2-step (aka progressive or Texas
west-coast (slotted) swing, and a couple of varieties that apparently
in Arizona: "pony" swing and "Tucson 2-step" (aka Arizona or rhythm
Tucson Swing Club
(primarily west-coast) meets 7-10pm Thursdays at
$5.00 for non-members. Contact: Rose Marie Burrell - 745-0255
Tucson Lindy Hop
A number of bars have dancing every night of the week, usually no cover
charge during the weekdays, often special cheap dinner buffets during
week, and sometimes free lessons. The best known (largest floors and
likely to have dancers on them) are:
Some of the commercial dance studios have begun having special evenings
where they give an hour's lesson and then open dancing for the rest of
the evening. Cost $5-$10, with the additional benefit of an alcohol
/ smoke free environment. Some of the evenings are for 2-step,
swing, or just swing; the style tends to be more competition/ballroom
than you'd see in the bars (i.e. jest folk). These appear and disappear
at random times; look for ads in the papers or check under Dance
in the yellow pages. Right now (mid 1994) one of the better offers (a
style every day of the week) is at:
- Cactus Moon Cafe
- 5470 E. Broadway (4 mi SE of U/A)
- Lessons as of 3/97 (call for current schedule), 6:30-7:30 pm on:
Wednesday: couple dances; Thursday: line dances; Saturday: line dance;
Sunday: Couples (usually swing or 2-step, usually mobbed)
- 1527 E Bensen (4-5 mi S of U/A)
Had a drop-in class ($5) in pony swing on Sundays at 3:00. Call to
be sure it's happening. (Pony swing is like a cross beteween
swing and jitterbug).
Dance classes many evenings. Thursday Swing class (7/98), 7-8:15pm
$20/person Call Eileen 797-9975.
- The Bum Steer
- ?? - may have classes on Monday nights
6061 E. Broadway (E. of Craycroft, ~5 mi E of U/A)
The other local things of interest are Mexican Folklorico groups, and
Tribal groups. The thing to do is to check out the papers when you pass
through to see if anyone is performing
Some of the restaurants have Mariachi orchestras (usually weekends)
and occasionally Flamenco or Folklorico dancers. Check papers, yellow
- El Mariachi, 106 W. Drachman, 791-7793
- La Fuente, 1749 N. Oracle Rd, 623-8659
- Sometimes there's a belly dancer at Kazba Restaurant, 6350 E.
- Tucson Citizen: publishes a Weekend section on Thursdays which
entire following week
- Arizona Star: publishes a weekend ("Starlight") section on
some info about events for the week on Sundays
- Tucson Weekly: (free alternative paper, available in many stores,
shops, etc.) has a weekly happenings section, but the information is
inaccurate(!). Calling to confirm the date, time & location is
Comes out Thursdays.
- Entertainment Magazine: Another freebie, available at record
some other outlets, comes out at the beginning of the month (all copies
usually gone by mid-month). Good list of concerts of all types, plus
of local groups (including blues, alternative rock, and country).
Tucson, but covers some events in other cities.
- Radio: KXCI Community Radio
( 91.3 fm) is the folk/alternative station. Very wide variety
of programming. International music program on Sunday mornings at ? am.
KJZZ (? fm - Phoenix station, may not come in clearly) Jazz &
Excellent blues show on Sunday nights.
- Info phones:
In Concert! -Don
Gest usually lists current "In Concert" (TFTM) concerts on his
answering maching: 327 4809
- Tucson Blues Society events hotline (recorded) 570-7955
LPs: Hear's Music
(2508 North Campbell, 795-4494) has excellent
international, folk & blues CDs
No live balkan dance music, sigh.
Borderlands Klezmer Band. Contact: Jay Vosk, 621 1331
Mzekala: women's singing ensemble, balkan + international
contact: Barbara Whittlesy,
Orchestra. Contact: Mia Bulgarin Gay
For anglo / celtic / american:
- 1st & 3rd Tuesday each month, 8-10pm: American & Keltic
instrumental Jam, @ Rincon Market, 6th St @ Tucson Blvd.
- Wednesdays 7:30-9pm: "Slow" Jam - location moved, I dunno where
- Wednesdays, 8-10 pm: Bluegrass Jam @Rincon Market, 6th St @
- 2nd Thursday of the month: Bluegrass Jam @ ??? (may be defunct? )
- Irish Jam, 2nd & 4th Thursdays of each month,
@Upper Crust Pizza, 1909 E. Grant (E. of Campbell), 8-10+pm [12/15/02]
Contact: Sharon 298-3014
- Arizona Old
Time Fiddlers Tuesdays 7-10 at Southwest Community Ctr,
Cardinal Rd. 1 Mi S. of Valencia (~8 Mi SW of Downtown)
Contact: Jack Childs, 883-4029 or Laura Barry, 743-9491
- Bentley's (Speedway W. of Campbell) - open mike Friday Evenings
- Tucson Friends of Traditional Music sponsers concerts.
Call: Becky Nankivel, 293-3783
Bluegrass Association. -
contact: Dan Liebler, 577 7354, Bonnie Lohman 296-1231
- Cushing Street Bar 343 S Meyer Ave (1/2 Mi S of downtown)
Often has acoustic entertainers, sometimes has concerts (folk, blues,
etc.) in the courtyard. Call to check. 622-7984
Web pages for Folkish Tucson Bands
ANNUAL & SPECIAL FOLKLORIC EVENTS:
FYI, Waila or "Chicken Scratch" is a
O'Odam adaptation of the European dance music of the late 19th century
(to present). Polkas, Schottishs, Waltzes, and "Cumbia". If you see any
advertised it's worth listening to; the dancing is usually pretty easy
to figure out. Check out:
- Tucson Meet Yourself
annual: [Oct 10-12, 2003] - international/ethnic. Good food. @ El
Presidio Park (downtown across from main library)
- Tucson Folk Festival
annual: May 6-7 2000 @El Presidio Park - anglo/kelto/american;
- European Fair (EMAT) @ El Con Mall (Broadway, E. of COuntry
Club), [Nov 2,
- Serbian Festival annual: April ?
Festival annual: [May 20 2000], 5-11pm,
U/A Bear Down Field
- Western/Cowboy Music Festival annual: [Nov 4-8 1998] @ Old
201 S. Kinney Rd. Info: Michelle
- Greek festival, semiannual:(Spring: May 12-13 2000, Fall: Sept
@ St. Demetrios Hellenic Center, 1145 E. Ft Lowell (888-0505)
Southern Arizona Dance Festival
January 16-18, 2003, @ Tucson Convention Center, 260 Church Street.
Square Dancing; Round Dancing; Clogging.
- Festival De San Augustin, [Aug 24-25 1996], Arizona Historical
Soc. 628 5774
- Tucson Celtic games; 1st Saturday in November at Rillito Park
Raceway @ First & River. Info: Tucson Celtic Festival Assn
or call 888-1058 or 743-9291.
- Halloween, Xmas, New Years: Contra & Int'l usually have
parties. Call to check for time & place
- Cinco De Mayo annual: May x-5, 199*, Kennedy Park.
- Norteno Festival annual: Aug 28-29 1998
- Tucson Mariachi Festival annual: April 24-29 1999 (downtown)
- Tucson Blues Festival
Oct 18 1998, Reid Park. 791-4079
- There are a bunch of small dance studios around town offering
this'n'that; check the yellow pages.
- Umbrella groups, which sometimes have interesting varieties of
(Flamenco, Beledi, African ...):
- Tucson Parks & Recreation
- The Open University
- Pima Community College
- Instrument classes:
Folk Shop (Discontinued, but check the bulletin
- check the ads in the TFTM & TKMA newsletters.
- Odds & Ends:
- Denise Hawthorn Bey: W. African, Afro-cuban & Brazilian
- Conga Drumming (Afro-Carribean): Barbara Bird @ Casa Tambores,
- Tango classes : Mara Carlson, 791 3073.
- The Folk
- 2525 N. Campbell, N. of Grant Rd. (1+ Mi N of U/A)
instruments of all varieties; books; occasional workshops
- Armory Park Seniors Center
- 220 S. 5th Ave (S.E. corner of Downtown, between 12th & 13th
- also for seniors: Ballroom, "Country Western Plus Dances", and
- Randolph Park Recreation Center
- S. Alvernon (S. of Broadway, 2 1/2 mi SE of U/A)
- Also tap, ballet, etc. classes
Zuzi "Move It" Dance Lab, in the Historic YWCA
- 738 N. 5th Avenue (SE corner of University Blvd). 520/629-0237
- offers Modern, Jazz, Tap, Skinner Releasing, etc., also hosts
Tucson's Home for the Arts
- 516 N. 5th Ave, @6th st.
- offers Salsa, swing, etc.
- Tucson Women's Club
- 6245 E Belleview (at Wilmot) (NW of Speedway & Wilmot; 5 mi
E of U/A)
Swing dance club; Ballroom Dance Club
- Berger Performing Arts Center
- at Arizona State Schools for the Deaf & Blind
- Speedway Blvd. (N side) west of I-10 (use west parking lot).
- TFTM -
Tucson Friends of Traditional Music
- Sponsors Contra dances, jams, concerts and camps
Contact: Becky Nankivel 293-3783; TFTM, PO Box 40654, Tucson, AZ 85717;
Kitchen Musicians Association
- Performers & Songwriters Assn. Sponsers Concerts, Jams,
annual Tucson Folk Festival, weekly Acoustic Showcase
- Tucson Blues Society
- P.O. Box 30672, Tucson 85751 Promotes blues: workshops, yearly
newsletter: "Blues Beat" Contact: (hotline) 579-7955;
Desert Bluegrass Association:
- 7878 East Cloud Road, Tucson 85715 Sponsors: Monday meetings,
contact: Bonnie Lohman
761-8384; Dan Liebler, 577 7354
- Tucson Old Time Fiddlers:
- Old Time, Country & Contest Fiddle; Meets weekly on Tuesdays;
Contact: Jack Childs, 883-4029 or Laura Barry, 743-9491
- Sponsors yearly Tucson Meet
Contact: Rose Marie Huerta 888-8816; Dennis Evans
- Tucson Swing Club
- Meets Thursday
evenings 7-9:30. classes & open dances, $3. Mostly "West Coast"
Contact: 326-4841; Rose Marie Burrell - 325-9436; Randy McNellis - 1332
E. Hendrick Dr - 323 2703
- sponsors concerts. Hot line for happenings & clubs: 743 3399
- Senior Citizens Club #1, Tucson Parks & Rec
- 220 S. FIfth Ave, Tucson; 791-4685
Sponsors: Daily classes and dances of various kinds (ballroom, country,
- Western Music Association,
- P.O. Box 34008, Tucson 85740; 825-5521 (fax: 825-3704
sponsors: yearly Western Music Festival
Multi-Ethnic Alliance of Tucson (EMAT)
- Umbrella for ethnic/national clubs. Sponsors semi-annual ethnic
festivals in malls (location changes) in November & March.
Meets: 7:30 pm on 2nd tuesday of each month @ Double Tree Hotel
Contact: Loretta Olson, Nosloal@aol.com, or 745-2173 or PO Box 44301,
- Daughters of the British Empire 745-2173
- Tucson Celtic Festival Association 885 9221
- Croatian Fraternal Union 624-7645
- Czech & Slovak Club 747-1077
- Danish Club of Tucson 325 2024
- Neerlandia Dutch Club 743 4896
Americal Club 794 4674
- French American Club 296 5457
- German Heritage Club 624 2130
- Tucson German American Club 722 6381
- St. Demetrios Greek Community 888 0505
- Hungarian American Club 327 8811
- Irish American Gaelic Society 296 9518
- Italian American Club 623 7154
- Order of the Sons of Italy 747 1760
- Norsemen's Federation 297 9503
- Sons of Norway, Trolldalen Lodge #6-139 293-2913 (eves),
- The Chopin Association (Polish) 325-5028
- Russian American Club 579-7781
- Seven Pipers Scottish
Pipes, Drums, Highland Dancers)798-6980
- Southern Arizona Scottish Society 325-3438, or phone Melba Mitchell
- American Slavic Social Club 624-5526
- Club Espania de Tucson (Spanish) 747-2715
- VASA Order of America 326-7330
- Ukranian American Club 296-0085
- Tucson Council for Int'l Visitory 795-0330 ext 105
- Arizona Irish Music Society
(Society for Promotion of Indial Classical Music & Culture
- Puts on Concerts. Other programs?
Contact: Deepa Wadhwani 544-2355; Preeti Pande 321-0963; Nanda
Other Places in the Arizona
Phoenix is about a 2 hour drive from Tucson,
Prescott is about 2 hours N of Phoenix. 4 hours from Tucson.
Bisbee is about 2 hours SE of Tucson.
Cottonwood is ....
[ I can hunt up more info about most of the following, but am
not tracking to keep any of it up to date.]
International FD Wednesdays 7:00-8:30 @ Madera Vista Rec Center.
625-3440. or email Ellen Templar
(Phoenix area code is 602; Tempe / Scottsdale / Mesa area code is
Friends of Old-Time Music
(usually) 2nd Saturday of each month. Teach 7pm; dance 7:30-10:30pm
- $8.00 ($6.00 for PFOTM members; students w/id: $3.00)
Kenilworth School, 1210 N. 5th Avenue (I-10 @ 7th Ave Exit) contact:
also: 4th Sunday of the month (Feb - April), 3-6pm
at: Arthur Murray Dance Studio, 1210 E. Indian School Rd, Phoenix
(NE quadrant of 12th St and Indian School Rd) Ann Eskayo: 480/759-2382
Phoenix International Folk
Thursdays (except holidays) @ Encanto Park Clubhouse (15th Ave N. of
Encanto Blvd), free
Teaching 7:30-8:30pm, Open dancing 8:30-10pm;
Contact: Lois Postel 480/968-0573
Annual Folkdance Festival 1-4pm in March @ Los Olivos Senior Center,
2802 E. Devonshire, Phx
Annual Slavic Festival in March [3/8-10/96] at St. Sava's Church,
4525 E. McKinley St., Tempe. Contact 598-5705, 641-8023, 502-5060
- Israeli: Weds 7:30-10:45; Let's Dance Studio, Scottsdale Road @
Scottsdale. contact: Shlomit Sholem, 602/285-1302
- Bedlam Bells Morris
contact: PaulNicolaides Rehearse
Tuesday nights 7:30-10, outside the library at Scottdale Civic Center
- Byelaroza Eastern
European Folk Dance & Music Ensemble
Russian, Ashkenazi(Eastern European Jewish),
Sephardi(Judeo-Spanish), some Near & Middle Eastern folk
rehearse Mondays, 7:00 pm. New members welcome. Contact: Tish Dvorkin - (480)986-6016;
- Scottish Country: Wednesday Nights @ Scottsdale Senior Center.
Info: Archie at 602-938-7239 or Phx
- West Coast Swing: Meet Sunday Nights at (?), lessons for an hour
then a couple of hours of dancing to live bands. They also offer
on Monday nights, and maybe other nights. Contact: George Callas
P.O. Box 5730, Glendale, AZ 85312; 602/941-0531
- I know there is also a Western Two Step scene up there, but have
no info about it.
- Phoenix Friends of Old Time Music - contact the contra dance
- Southwest Acoustic
Music Assoc, 925 W Baseline, Suite 105-G6, Tempe, AZ 85283.
-- puts out "The Acoustic Scene" monthly, listing pxh area action.
- Arizona Bluegrass Association, P.O. Box 34123, Phoenix Az
- Annual Phoenix Folk Traditions Acoustic Music Festival, March
16-17 1966, Encanto Park Clubhouse: 2605 N 15th Ave. 495-5458 for info
Happens! First Friday (usually) of each month. 445 8823
Prescott Armory, 824 E. Gurley, (teach @7:30) 8 - 11pm, $4 contact: Jan Alexander 928-776-7348
IFD: Jack Yule 778-4416. Meets Tues Eves, also classes other
Dances of Universal Peace: 3nd Saturday of each month, 7-9 pm @
Prescott College Chapel. $5 donation. contact Janine Walter 520/717-2379
- May Madness ContraFest
weekend, May 17-19, 2004
- Sharlot Hall Folk Music Festival, First weekend each October.
[Oct 6-7 2001], 10am-5pm At Sharlot Hall Museum
concerts, storytellers, crafts, etc, Contra dance on Saturday evening.
international:Flagstaff International Folk Dancers.
1st/2nd/3rd Mondays of the month, 7:00-8:30pm, FREE
@ Thorpe Adult Center, 245 N. Thorpe Street
Contact: Susan Blanchard, 520/213-9184.
Flagstaff Friends of Traditional Music 1st Saturday of each month,
Marshall School: 850 N. Bonito; info: 774 7261 or 522-8802 or
Annual Mountain Dawn Dance [9/1/01] AZ We Dance
English Country Dance - monthly, but no contact info yet
Flagstaff Swing Dance Club: contact H. Leon Raper
520/525-1054; P.O. Box 23429; Flagstaff, AZ 86002
Bisbee International Folk Dance Club: Monday 7-9pm, all welcome.
@ Border Fitness Plus (in Lowell Plaza, Bisbee)
Contact: Cynthia Jacobson (432-4440), Ted Williams (432-3542), Tasha
Marsh (432-4508) - Tboland@primnet.com
- Cochise Dance Umbrella. non-profit corporation supporting dance
in Southeastern Arizona. Pres: Joan Reichel P.O. Box 752, Bisbee AZ
- African Dance Class, T & Th 7pm @ Border Fitness Plus.
(Dance cooperative with live drumers on Th) Contact: PO box 752, Bisbee
85603, or Jean (432-7920) or Carol (432 4292)
- DJEMBORI DANCE & DRUM TROUPE, African Music and Dance
performing gp. PO Box 752, Bisbee AZ 85603. Contact: Jean (432-7920)
contra: 3rd Saturday of each month through May, 2001 (off for
7:30 @ Cottonwood Civic Center, 827 North Main
Contact: LaDonna Lee, 520/592-0496 email@example.com
Note: the group often goes out for supper for the dance. Contact
for information about time and location.
Annual Southwest Dulcimer Festival
Dept folk activities page
KUAT/KUAZ radio & TV (PBS,
guide to arizona
DesertNet list of
dance events in Tucson. Updated Weekly!
Tucson Daily Star events calendar
dance & folk music
Dwayne Johnson's National
Contra Dance Map
Kiran Wagel's National Contra Dance Directory
Leon Raper's Swing Dance corner
Folk Dance Association
New England Folk Arts Center
New England Folk Festival Association
California Folk Dance Federation
Eastern European Folk Life center
Country Dance & Song Society
Library of Congress:
Ballroom Companion: Dance Instructor Manuals 1490-1920
Todd and Robert Sonkin Migrant Worker Collection (songs)